Friday, September 6, 2013

FRIIIIDAYYYY!

When I started typing this post, I realized it had been a while since my last one… In fact, I couldn’t even remember what my last post was about, so I had to go back to see that it was written two weeks ago! When a blogger goes MIA, you can assume one of a two things: a. the person is incredibly busy or b. his or her life is so dull there is absolutely nothing to talk about. Thankfully, my absence is due to the former- I am buzzing around like a busy bee, and I love it! School picked up quickly; this week I helped present a group project and took my first test of the semester. School isn’t the only thing keeping me busy any more, because it’s officially football season in Death Valley! In fact, I think since it’s time for some Five on Friday, I might as well give it a football theme (Who am I?!?!)

Five on Friday! Courtesy of Christina of Carolina Charm, Darci of The Good Life, April of A. Liz Adventures, and Natasha of Hello! Happiness 
Five on Friday! Courtesy of Christina of Carolina Charm, Darci of The Good Life, April of A. Liz Adventures, and Natasha of Hello! Happiness

1. College GameDay. Where else would ESPN want to host the longest College GameDay ever but Clemson University?! As someone who does not watch College GameDay (and let’s be real, ESPN in general), I was thrilled to see the momentum and excitement the show brought with it. I thought Tiger fans were pumped for the first game against the Georgia Bulldogs before, but once the all-day-televised-broadcast element was added to the mix, it became a whole different animal!

Happy camper- John was a trooper and camped out for tickets for the game! Each of our friends took shifts watching our spot in the ticket line, but John was the manly man who spent the night on the comfortable concrete in order for us to get awesome seats for the Saturday showdown!  
Happy (just not to be taking a picture) camper: John was a trooper and camped out for tickets for the game! Each of our friends took shifts watching our spot in the ticket line, but John was the manly man who spent the night on the comfortable concrete in order for us to get awesome seats for the Saturday showdown!
Friday afternoon, John and Corey competed as partners in a corn hole competition, hoping to win tickets to a backstage look at GameDay. Sadly, they didn't win, but we all had a good time checking out the set up! 
Friday afternoon, John and Corey competed as partners in a corn hole competition, hoping to win tickets to a backstage look at GameDay. Sadly, they didn't win, but we all had a good time checking out the set up!

2. First Friday. One of Clemson’s cool traditions is the First Friday Parade, held every year, the night before the first home football game. We watched all kinds of floats and cars drive by, listened to the marching band play the Tiger Rag, and even got to see a group of guys step dance! (I wish I had that much rhythm slash swagger…) The parade really had me pining for the group of girls I miss the most from Wofford: my sorority sisters. Each of the sororities at Clemson decorated a float, wore matching shirts, and chanted their way down the parade route.  Although there is a Kappa Alpha Theta chapter at Clemson, it wouldn’t be the same to join. While I’m sure the girls are sweet,  I didn’t originally fall in love with the Clemson chapter; I was at home with the Wofford Thetas.  It was hard to feel like I was missing out during Clemson’s recruitment week, but I know I’ll be glad I have more freedom once chapter and other obligations start for the girls.  :)

John, Spencer, and Michael enjoying the parade 
John, Spencer, and Michael enjoying the parade

Loser- Chelsea made herself feel better during Clemson Recruitment constructing this pic collage.... Loser- Chelsea made herself feel better during Clemson Recruitment constructing this pic collage....

3. My (national) TV debut. I mean, I’ve been on the local news before, but I got my fifteen (mili)seconds of fame in when Blair and I were flashed up on her sister’s TV (and anyone who was watching ESPN at the time!). So glad she captured our moment, because wowza, was it hot jumping up in down in ninety degree heat in the middle of the day! Now I can officially say I’ve experienced College GameDay, and Lee Corso pulling out the wrong mascot head at the end of the broadcast (look who’s laughin’ now, Corso!).

I'm the one with my arm raised and demonic looking holes for eyes (in my defense, I had my sun glasses on).  
I'm the one with my arm raised and demonic looking holes for eyes (in my defense, I had my sun glasses on).

4. Tailgate time. AKA the best part of the day. Although I stressed myself out trying to figure out tailgating (note: acting as a hub of info to multiple groups of people in the hopes of congregating in the same place is not a good idea), it all worked out! Great friends, yummy food… It really doesn’t get better than that!

Our delightful spread! My contributions: white chocolate dipped pretzel rods, pretzel crisps (for pimento cheese I knew would be there), cake batter dip, and graham crackers and Nilla Wafers for said dip!  
Our delightful spread! My contributions: white chocolate dipped pretzel rods, pretzel crisps (for pimento cheese I knew would be there), cake batter dip, and graham crackers and Nilla Wafers for said dip!

Look who came by the tailgate- my little brudder!  
Look who came by the tailgate- my little brudder!

5. Sweet Victory! After an intense game, Clemson secured the W, and lots of people rushed the field! That did not include me though- I enjoyed watching it from afar. By the time the 8-pm-kickoff game ended, it was after midnight- what a long, fun, exhausting day!

Obligatory Good Year Blimp shot during the warm up- the stadium is already getting pretty full at this point! 
Obligatory Good Year Blimp shot during the warm up- the stadium is already getting pretty full at this point!
Pom pom wavin' for Watkins!  
Pom pom wavin' for Watkins! Notice how full the hill is, and the game hasn't even started! (For those of you non-Clemson fans, the area under the score board is a big grassy hill the players run down before every game, and some student tickets are there.)
The game ends, and the mad dash down to the field begins!  
The game ends, and the mad dash down to the field begins!

Woo! What a great way to open the season!  
Woo! What a great way to open the season!

Not a bad weekend, for being centered around a sporting event, huh? ;) Even though tomorrow's game against SC State isn't quite as big, I'm just as (if not more) excited about tomorrow, because I get to see my parents for the first time since move in!!! Yay!!!! Hope everyone else's weekend is as much fun as mine is gonna be!

No comments:

Post a Comment