Sunday, January 12, 2014

Golden Globes 2014: Style Roundup

I'm no expert on couture fashion, but here are a few of my favorites from tonight:

I have no idea who Julianna Margulies is, but her dress is sheer perfection. I don't know if it's the Wofford Terrier in me, but I love black and gold, and the dress's cut is flattering and classic. 



Okay, so I know the majority of people are going to hate this, but for some reason, the rich color combo here with mixed textures makes me happy. Sue me. Plus, Julie Bowen on Modern Family is just wonderful.

Guys, this cape is definitely having a moment. So basically, Lupita Nyong'o completely rocked her first film (I have yet to see Twelve Years a Slave, but it's been on my list for a while),  a Yale grad, and a fashionista... Wow. 

 I'll be honest: I had no idea who Margot Robbie was before tonight, but I guess that's what I get for not watching Wolf of Wallstreet! She had a funny moment with her costar Jonah Hill when the teleprompter led them astray, and I went from liking her dress from liking her as a person! 


Another celeb I don't know: Michelle Dockery. I saw her walk onto the carpet, and was all, "Why can't I be pretty?" 

 Naomi Watts just makes it look too easy. 

 Olivia Wilde was my favorite pregnant red-carpet queen tonight. While Kerry Washington also blew me away (per usual), Olivia's dress stood out with that deep emerald hue. 

At the risk of being burned at the stake here, I'm going to come out and say Cate Blanchett wasn't my favorite at the Globes. I guess the dress just didn't translate its crazy-beauty through the cameras, because the pictures of this were pretty, but nothing on another level. I'm putting her under the "Best dressed" category, but just know she wasn't my favorite. 

Hmmm... Here are a few dresses I haven't made up my mind about... 

 I love Emma Watson, and she's so edgy-yet-elegant, but the pants just remind me of leggings I'd wear to class. I like this picture because it makes the dress (and carpet) look pink, but in reality, it's a dull red, and I just wasn't fully convinced.

First I hated it. Then I liked it. Then I doubted myself and started to hate it again. Then I gave up, because it's Julia Roberts, and either way, she's America's sweetheart.

Listen, Tay can do no wrong in my book, like, ever. Plus, this Carolina Herrera gown is a stunner, for sure. Sadly, though, she just looks... Pointy. I know she's naturally thin, and I'm sure she's got a billion things on her mind to worry about and keep her from overeating, but I just hope she keeps her health a priority. 


Although these stars were also dressed to the nines, they didn't quite make my best-dressed list:


I feel like Rashida's dress kind of screams middle-aged-man's-Tommy Bahamas-shirt...

No blurred lines here:  dress is just a no. 

 Oh, Tina... How I wish this dress was just another one of your jokes... Love the woman, hate her dress. Thankfully, the one she wore during the awards was much easier on the eyes!

Hmm, Zoe Saldana's dress just isn't doing it for me... So much going on. 

So, there you have it! My opinions on the Golden Globes. I feel the need to add that the stars that make the "Worst Dressed" lists still look more beautiful than I will probably ever have the pleasure of looking, so I don't feel too bad for 'em. Plus, I'm a random twenty-something in South Carolina, whereas tomorrow night Joan Rivers will rip some of them apart on Fashion Police (and duh, I'll be watching). Think I made any huge mistakes when categorizing? Or did I forget a favorite? Let me know! I'm off to go watch the end of the show and try to forget tomorrow's Monday! 

13 comments:

  1. Emma Watson can just pull off anything! I am loving all these outfits but what was Julia Roberts thinking!
    XO,
    http://www.sororitygirlintherealworld.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Erin- Emma is absolutely amazing but Julia... Well, at least she still has The Oscars to impress us :)

      Delete
  2. I didn't watch! So thanks for the update on fashion. That's the most interesting part. Yeah, you can't feel too bad for them. One they didn't pay for the dress most likely and two they still look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fashion was definitely the best, along with Amy and Tina's hilarious opening! I didn't even think about the fact that they didn't pay for the dress, Cece! Yet another good reason not to feel too guilty :)

      Delete
  3. I love the emerald hue of Olivia Wilde's dress, too! Such a cute preggers lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously... I'd be lucky to look half as gorgeous without carrying another human being inside of me! Ha!

      Delete
  4. I love Taylor Swift's dress and Cate Blanchett's dress! The red carpet is always my favorite part!

    Lauren,
    http://www.atouchofsoutherngrace.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cate's was definitely the fan favorite, and I agree- the red carpet is the best!!

      Delete
  5. Lupita is a rock star she should up and slam dunk it. I have no words about that thing Zoe has on.

    http://www.kakersinwonderland.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!!! I watched Fashion Police on E! and they all raved about Zoe's dress.... Thankfully, they voted Lupita's dress the best of the night! Justice was served!

      Delete
  6. I thought Taylor Swift stole the show, but maybe that's just cause I love her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caitlin, I'm normally Taylor's number one fan (to the point my friend's tease me!), but there were SO many other stunners, hers just didn't "wow" me like the others!

      Delete
  7. Great picks..I didn't watch the Golden Globes, so some of these looks you featured were ones I hadn't even seen!

    ReplyDelete