Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Hot Chocolate Oatmeal: AKA Why I'm Planning My Meals Now

Confession time: in the fall, I had a bad habit. I went to the grocery store with the best of intentions, getting basics, like oatmeal, shredded cheese, and eggs.

I come home feeling accomplished... Until it's dinner time. And I can't think of anything I want to eat. And I'm hungry. Now.

So what's a broke college girl to do when she needs some food fast (and doesn't want to eat a billion calories of fast food)?

She improvises. Cue Hot Chocolate Oatmeal.

Hot Chocolate Oatmeal- complete with colorful mini marshmallows! 

I know, I know... It sounds ridiculous, but don't knock it 'til you try it! All I did was add some water, oatmeal, and hot chocolate mix together, throw it in the microwave for a minute or two, and top the hot mixture with those cute (yet sketchy... who knows the processed ingredients they add) mini marshmallows! The oatmeal makes it filling, and the chocolate satisfies my sweet tooth! 

Alas, as yummy and novel as this concoction was, it's not exactly a gourmet meal. When I was making my goals for 2014, I knew prioritizing meal planning was a must. Although I haven't sat down and planned out every day of the month like I hope to for February, I have made an effort to actually make meals this past week. After a bit of planning and some prep-work, I had something yummy waiting for me after a long Monday! 

Mmm. Nothing better than taking off the lid to a crock pot and smelling the deliciousness that awaits.

Typical John... Even as he digs into supper, he still has his phone in hand. I'm sure seconds later I nagged him about it :) 

Seriously, this Six Sisters' Stuff recipe for Slow Cooker Busy Day Stew was just what the doctor ordered. Well, not necessarily the doctor, but probably the meteorologist. I wish the Polar Vortex could have taken all the cold weather away when it left! Oh well. I complain now, but I did love curling up on the couch after eating that yummy soup!

I'm going home for the long MLK weekend, so I won't be meal planning for the next few days, but I definitely need to keep my eyes peeled for easy, healthy, and delicious recipes to add to my repertoire! Send me links to your favorites if you have any, please!






2 comments:

  1. I am so in the same boat, girl!! I found meal planning is a must & I need to get back in the habit of doing so. If you have any good recipes, we must share :)

    ReplyDelete