Tuesday, February 18, 2014

NYFW in Review

Hi, loves! Hope everyone had a fabulous Valentine's and Presidents Day weekend! February might be the shortest month of the year, but it certainly doesn't lack special events! Yes, the Olympics are currently the talk of the world, but last week, I had my eye on something else, too: New York Fashion Week.  

Now, I feel the need to warn people I am not a fashion guru by any means. If you're here looking for fancy words about the way something's tailored, or info on all the latest trends, you're reading the wrong blog! For the most part, I have no idea what's trendy and what's "so last season" (I tend to just wear things matchy-patchy out of fear of doing something wrong). However, I did enjoy peeking through some of the collections this year. There were some gorgeous pieces, the "Wows," and then there were some ensembles that really made me scratch my head, the "WTFs". 

Here are the "Wow" looks of the week:


Lela Rose




With this collection, Lela Rose became one of my favorite designers! That orchid (Pantone color of the year!) dress is to die for, and the polka dot overlay on the dress in the top left is precious. This may sound weird, but I'm totally digging that jeweled top-pantsuit thing (or whatever you want to call it!). The bottom right look is cool- the kind of look I wish I could pull off, but never could.


Tory Burch

It took me a while to decide whether I loved or hated this pleated coat. I decided on love. 


Trina Turk

I'm a huge Trina Turk fan, and although most of her collection didn't "wow" me, this dress did.


Missoni 

There's no mistaking who designed this dress- I love Missoni's bold patterns. This outfit is definitely something I'd love to wear next fall!


Monique Lhuillier 



Monique's show was the one I couldn't wait to watch, and she didn't disappoint! Gorgeous gowns, per usual.


Zac Posen

This man, notorious for dressing women like Sofia Vergara, knows how to cater to a woman's curves! 


Alice and Olivia





Alice + Olivia is always classic meets edgy, which I love. 



Badley Mischka 




Can't say I was surprised at how much I loved this dynamic duo's collection this year. I love pretty much everything they make! (I'm actually ignoring the Russian fur caps we have going on...)


Oscar De La Renta


That top red dress is stuh.ning. And don't even get me started on the glittery bows adorning the pink champagne gown.... Love!


Joie

This precious red trench cape is calling my name.


Marchesa 

This rich and glamorous gown was meant to shine on the red carpet.




Jenny Packham









Overall, I think this collection may have been my favorite. Just so many sparkling stunners!


Escada 

You all know how I feel about capes: love.


Herve Leger

I'm always iffy about fur, but I think the dress is cool.


Ralph Lauren

RL has a way with making soft, romantic classics. How gorgeous would this be on someone like Jen Aniston?!


Reem Acra

The red dress is absolutely stunning, and I hope to see it on the red carpet at some point!


As always, lots of the big-name designer's collections left me head-scratching. Here are a few of the "WTFs" of the week:

Vera Wang

Y'all, is it just me, or does this girl look like she's an eight foot tall dementor from Harry Potter? Seriously, world's longest legs. Or highest platforms. 


Milly

The high-waisted trend is cute in my book, but there's a fine line between stylin' and Steve Urkel. These pants cross that line.


Betsey Johnson

Every single piece in her collection was this weird. I just can't with that horrid belt and hideous scrunchy top-dress thing.... 


Michael Kors

Because what man wouldn't want to wear a turtleneck sweatsuit with sandals?


House of Holland

I don't even want to know how many Muppets were killed in the making of this line...


Public School

I'm honestly okay with most of this, but when we get up to the weird wool blanket slash hat (which I'm pretty sure was stolen from Arthur Dimmesdale a la Scarlet Letter)... I just get confused. 


Alexander Wang

I'm at a loss here. What do you even call this pocketed, wool coat-ish, romper-ish monster? 


Marc Jacobs

Kendall Jenner (and her boobs) made an appearance in Marc Jacob's show, but I figured I'd show one of his more modest looks... And also one of his more ridiculous looks.


Rebecca Minkoff 

With pants channeling Beetlejuice and a top channeling who knows what, the right accessory is obviously a fannypack. 


Preen by Thornton Bregazzi

Darth Vader was definitely one of Preen's themes, as he made an appearance on several dresses and tops in the show. This dress is even freakier than Vader's creepy breathing.


Like I said, I'm no fashionista, so if you disagree, I completely understand! What were your thoughts on Fashion Week? Does it make you excited for Fall? (Or are you like me, and just trying to make it to Spring and Summer?!)

 photo blogsigpng_zpscb1d9054.png

3 comments:

  1. Love, love, LOVE all of this! The Lela Rose, Alice & Olivia, and Badley Mischka collections are my favorite!
    http://memandco.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Alice & Olivia collection! I could live in it <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not get as into fashion week this year as I have in the past (sooo busy!), so thank you for the recap. I am a HUGE Oscar de la Renta and Missoni fan! I am glad they made your Wow list!

    Nicole, keepcalmandcocoon.com

    ReplyDelete